Diagnosis of muscular dystrophy can be be examine by a doctor to know the medical history. This can be done by following tests.
- ENZYME TESTS: Damaged muscles releases enzyme such as CREATINE KINASE[CK], into your blood. In a person who hasn’t had a traumatic injury, high blood levels of CK suggest a muscle disease.
- GENETIC TESTING: Blood samples can be examined for mutations in some of the genes that cause types of muscular dystrophy.
- MUSCLE BIOPSY: A small piece of muscle can be removed through an incision or with a hollow needle. Analysis of the tissue sample can distinguish muscular dystrophies from other muscle disease.
- HEART MONITORY TESTS: These tests are used to check heart functions especially in people diagnosed with myotonic muscular dystrophy.
- LUNG MONITORING TESTS: These test are used to check lung function.
- ELECTROMYOGRAPHY: An electrode needle is inserted into the muscle to be tested. Electrical activity is measured as you relax and as you gently tighten the muscle changes in the pattern of electrical activity can confirm a muscle disease.
Types of Muscular Dystrophy
- Duchenne muscular dystrophy
- Becker muscular dystrophy
- Congenital muscular dystrophy
- Myotonic muscular dystrophy
- Limb-girdle muscular dystrophy
- Distal muscular dystrophy
- Emery- Derifuss muscular dystrophy
- Facios capulohumeral muscular dystrophy.
SymptomsThe signs and symptoms which typically appear in early childhood, include…..
- Frequent falls
- Muscle pain and stiffness
- Difficulty rising from a lying or sitting position
- Trouble in running and jumping
- Waddling gait
- Learning disabilities.
TreatmentIt is well known that there’s is no cure for any form of muscular dystrophy. People with muscular dystrophy should be monitored throughout their lives, they need a care team which include a neurologist with expertise in neuromuscular disease and also a physical medicine and rehabilitation specialist ,physical and occupational therapist.
MEDICATIONSThe specialist/doctor might recommend.
- Corticosteroids such as prednisone and deflazacort which can help muscle strength and delay the progression of certain types of muscular dystrophy.
- Heart medications such as angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors or beta blockers if muscular dystrophy damages the heart.